My now weekend/probably should sell car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, nothing special other than I've upgraded the turbo and had the ECU retuned for a few more ponies. But after racking up more than 20,000k's in under 18 months using it as my daily work car (driving off site around Christchurch) I felt it was too nice to be driving constantly, plus it's not great on gas around town (averages 12.3L per 100k diddling around)
Also, my work moved buildings and now has no on site, or even close by off site parking
So I decided to get a cheap daily.. except I still wanted something a little fun, so I bought this:
Admittedly, I should have spent more time inspecting it before buying it and I probably would have offered a lot less, however it's been fun working on it as it's not too hard to work on.
After buying the car and spending a few hours I found the following issues:
- No coolant, the water was brown as poo
- The heater didn't work at all
- The radio was dead and wiring was a mess
- There was a leak in the boot
- Central locking didn't work
- Wiper blades were so crap they did nothing
- Air filter appeared to have been 100000 years old
- Interior smelled of wet dog (still does sadly)
- The dash has been out at some point as only two bolts were holding it in
- Idles at 1500rpm whether hot or cold
- Found an oil leak.
-- The oil leak was because some clever person didn't do the oil filter on tight and was loose.
BUT, the engine and turbo felt great! Really liked to rev and pull.
What's been done to date:
- Oil + oil filter
- brand new heater core
- radiator flushed and pressure tested
- new air filter
- dash mounted better (not properly but 90%)
- radio wiring fixed + new sony radio
- new wiper blades
- new gearbox oil
- Fixed the boot leak
- sadly this has been in a decent prang and the drivers tail light doesn't sit well at all with the chassis and you can see the questionable repair job
- New dissy rotor + cap
- new thermostat
- I hand washed the panels (Feat. my impreza)
Next on the list is:
- Fix the high idle. After posting here + endless googling, I'm thinking it may be the waxstat on the throttle body. I just need to test it and then go from there.
- New rims. I've found some on Trademe, nice little 15's.
- New rotors + pads all around.
- May replace the o2 sensor
- Under seat sub as the 4" speakers are tinny!
- new struts and maybe some lowering springs.
I'd like some fog lights + the front bumper lip.. but I think it will be good luck finding the lip.